Thursday, September 10, 2015

Jayna Lehrer Blog Post #2 Reading Essentials Chapter 3 – Share your Reading Life


 
While reading this article I couldn’t help but reflect upon my elementary school years and a particular teacher who really took my love for reading to a whole new level. I can still close my eyes and envision her reading corner being so inviting and comfortable. She had an oversized chair, floor lamp and a table cloth. What was the table cloth for you ask? Well, that was simply her “lap.” She would put part of the table cloth in her lap and then place the remaining part on the floor. We would then be called to crawl up in her lap for story time. She loved to read to us and we loved to listen. It was her love for books and reading that helped ignite a love for reading within myself.

Routman made the point that “our students admire us and seek to emulate us.” Because my former teacher made reading such an enjoyable experience for me, I then wanted to do the same for my students. I love escaping into a good book with my students. Setting up a safe, warm, cozy environment in my own classroom has been something that I have always strived to do. I am now currently working on adding to and organizing a classroom library for my students to have access to many different genres of books.

I also feel that it important to make sure that my students know about my reading experiences. Since my reading career currently consists of books such as Pinkalicious, Click Clack Moo, Where’s My Nose, etc, I plan on bringing my own daughter Gia, who is 3, into my classroom to share her favorite books with my students. I think that will make more of an impact than me just telling them about my reading habits at home with my children. Hopefully this will make them want to become a reader like her and give them the confidence to read. I look forward to trying to implement many of Routman’s other teaching tools in the near future.

 

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the idea with the tablecloth--too cute! What a memorable experience for you as a student! I feel that little things like that can really draw students in and encourage learning. Establishing comfy and inviting places for students to read, like your teacher did for you, can also encourage students to develop a love for books and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayna, I love your idea of having Gia come and share her favorite books to your class. It will make the experience so much more enjoyable for them to hear it from her! They will in turn go home and tell their parents. You never know, it may spark something at home and may encourage parents who don't regularly read to their children to start! You may never know how far reaching this one visit could be to your students! Let me know when she comes. I would love to witness this first-hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jayna,
    You focused your blog post this month on creating a classroom environment that is conducive to independent reading. I agree with you that a cozy reading corner full of books that students are able to choose and then read on comfortable couches and stretched across carpets goes a long way in motivating a student to pick up a book and try it out. Creating thoughtful instruction that models a love for reading and shows our students not only the joy of reading but how to choose books and stick with him not only provides the "what to do" but the "how to do it." I love the idea of inviting your daughter, Gia in to model what to do during independent reading. I would love to suggest that you video it. This will hold the moment for your future students and for you as a mother. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete