Thursday, September 3, 2015

Anna Johnson Blog Post 1- The Habit of Kidwatching

Kidwatching is the ongoing, uninterrupted, systematic look at how children learn. It is taking what we as teachers know about our students and turning that into instructional practices. Kidwatching gives students a voice and allows us to get to know each child in as many different contexts as possible. As a special education teacher I use a lot of record keeping on my students that I use in their IEP’s and to guide my instruction specific to each child’s individual needs. Kidwatching sounds like a realistic way to use record keeping without having files and files on each student. I am always looking for an ongoing way to look at my students, learn about their specific needs, and turn that into instructional practices for them. My students are very complex and unique, Kidwatching would give me a way to know each child in many different ways.

Coaching is the most important teaching and evaluation tool used in Kidwatching.  You try to record as many miscues and self-corrections as possible. After the notes, you talk casually with the student about the reading. This can give you a better insight of the student and their understanding of the reading. With my younger students or lower readers I could give more specific advice when needed and I would be able for them to tell me verbally how much they retained from their reading. So if you are thinking about record keeping, Timothy O’Keefe gives the advice to write something, even a single sentence, everyday about your child. Our comments as teachers are so much more valid than letter grades and scores. Sitting with a child listening and watching them may be the best thing we can do to get to know our students better as readers. 

2 comments:

  1. Anna, don't you love how simple O'Keefe makes kidwatching sound? I can't tell you how many times I tried a new "form." Not that they were bad...they intent was good, but I got too caught up in "doing it right" instead of making my focus about the child. O'Keefe's words about writing a single sentence makes kidwatching sound doable! Last year, I ditched the forms I was using and started with a piece of blank paper. I learned so much more from just taking notes that didn't have to fall into a specific category. I love how you are going to try giving advice to your students. "A praise and a wish" can help your students start where they are and build on it! I can't wait to hear how your kidwatching goes this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna,
    I loved how you used this blog post to really reflect on the concept of kidwatching and the options of how we can do this in the classroom from miscue analysis to conferencing notes. O'Keefe's suggestion of taking time to write down something every day about each of our students is simple but is powerful and it helps to not just collect data but use it to guide our students' growth. Thank yo u! Sincerely, Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete