Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Allison Parliament-Blog Post #1 The Pleasure Principle: by: Atwell


When I was growing up, I learned to read by fill-in-blanks, teachers talking and children listening, sitting in groups. The books that I remember reading were all required readings, that we all read as a class, very few times were the actual books I got to pick out. I believe to this day that played a large roll in my enjoyment towards reading as an adult. One of our primary goals as reading teachers is to eliminate students frustrations, by allowing them to choose books based on their interests not the teacher, and at a level in which they can read the text. This will develop confidence among the readers, and enjoyment towards reading verses the drop and read for thirty minutes like we were used to growing up. Teaching our students the bill of rights giving the right to skip pages, right not to finish, right to reread a book, right to browse, right to read anything, right not to read something, right to read anywhere, right to read aloud, and the right not to defend your tastes.

4 comments:

  1. I think giving students that choice factor when reading is crucial when developing a love or interest in reading. I love the reader's bill of rights and while, as adults, I think a lot of us do those things, as teachers, we are apprehensive about letting students skip pages or not finish a book. However, after reading the article, I can see why these things are beneficial in helping students develop a love for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As we empower our students and allow them to take ownership of their reading, choice is essential. I love the reader's bill of rights and feel that by allowing our students to adopt these principles they will grow as readers as they explore this new found freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree we have to eliminate students' frustrations.We have to find the right balance between challenging them without them reaching that frustration level. Confidence is key to fostering growth. Will you be using the reading bill of rights to help foster confidence in their reading? I would love to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allison,
    I appreciate you sharing your experiences as a reader and how you connected with many of the beliefs Atwell wrote about in her article. Your last sentence in the post said, "Teaching our students the bill of rights giving the right to skip pages, right not to finish, right to reread a book, right to browse, right to read anything, right not to read something, right to read anywhere, right to read aloud, and the right not to defend your tastes." Tell me what you mean by "defend your tastes." I agree that providing options to our students as readers is important. I know you value student directed instruction in your work with our students who have special needs. Tell me how student choice and ownership looks with your groups? Thanks, Dawn Mitchell

    ReplyDelete