Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Beth Sullivan Blog Post #2-The Habit of Kidwatching

As I read this article I could relate to so many of the points that O’Keefe made.  Early in my teaching career I also had pages and pages of anecdotal notes on all of my students.  I had lots of information on each child but the information was scattered and disorganized.  I was always afraid I would leave something important out so I wrote everything down.  It is impossible to write everything down and then keep up with everything!  I currently use a clipboard with class rosters and checklists that help me keep track of specific information that I am looking for as well as student conference notes.  I also use conferencing and assessment notebooks to keep things organized.  Now the notes that I have from observing and conferencing are organized and can be used to identify student strengths and weakness which is essential when planning instruction.  I agree with the author that record keeping is a constantly evolving process. 
I love the term kidwatching and Carolyn Burke’s idea that kidwatching is “learning to see what’s there and using that information to make a better classroom” (1991).  Kidwatching is also a very large part of assessment in a kindergarten classroom.  I found the section of this article on coaching very informative and helpful.  As I implement independent reading time with my kindergarten students I want to be sure that I am meeting the individual learning needs of each student.  I love how the author stressed that sitting, watching and listening to our students is the best way to get to know them as readers.     
     

2 comments:

  1. Record keeping is definitely an evolving and ever changing process. I have changed they way I keep records each year I have taught in order to be more efficient and meet the need of my students. Each new group of students brings with them a different group of challenges and my record keeping must adjust to support and assist my planning for instruction to meet the needs of my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth,
    You did an outstanding job reflecting on the kidwatching suggestions O'Keefe provided in the article and how you are implementing kidwatching into your kindergarten classroom. You shared how you are using a clipboard and checklists to help keep track of important student information and to collect anecdotal observations data and how you value your conferencing and assessment notebooks because they also hold valuable information for you and your students. I am glad that the O'Keefe article provided you with some great tips in the coaching section. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete