Thursday, September 10, 2015

Casey Lyles Blog Post #1- Reading Essentials Chapter 3: Share Your Reading Life

I have always enjoyed reading—there is nothing like getting wrapped up in a good book!  Throughout elementary school I was the student that would work my way through series after series of books—I read all the time! I couldn’t wait to go to the library or get the latest Scholastic magazine which I would then beg my mom for more books!  My favorite part of the school day was when we were able to read silently to ourselves in a comfy spot in the classroom. However, as I moved through school and into upper grades, reading became more of a chore.  Instead of going to the library and checking out a book I was interested in, teachers began to assign reading.  I no longer had much of a say in what I was reading, but instead, had to read what my teachers told me to read.  I remember many dreadful summers throughout middle and high school that were spent reading novels that I had no interest in.  Not only did I have to read the book, but I would also end up having to write a paper or do some sort of project…Now, I know I’m probably preaching to the choir as I’m sure a lot of you also had to read the same novels and do the same sort of assignments.  Reading these books was torture for me and it was all because I was completely uninterested in the books assigned! 


Routman discusses in chapter three the importance of sharing our passion for reading with our students.  We develop a passion for reading by reading things we choose to read.  Often, students do not show an interest in reading because they have not found something that interests them and draws them in.  It is crucial that we help students, especially those who seem uninterested, find a book that interests them.  Routman states that “even students with reading disabilities can become proficient readers if their interest in the subject is great enough.”  Along with sharing our passion for reading with our students, we must get to know our kids and their unique interests so that we can help them find something to read that they are passionate about.  Students need to have a choice in what they read and it is our job to help them discover their passion for reading.

4 comments:

  1. Casey, you are so right! It is so important to get to know our students so we can spark their interests in reading. I think your story is like a lot of people's reading journey. We developed a love of reading which quickly waned when we hit middle school and were required to read teacher-chosen texts. My hope is we are seeing a change in this practice and that there is hope for the students we are now educating. I hope that their love will be nurtured and continue to grow throughout their time in school and that the love they have will continue into adulthood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey-I can relate to having to read specific books and then completing assignments on them in high school which made reading not fun! I also love to read and I read a wide variety of things. I agree getting to know our students and their interests is so important in helping them find books that they are passionate about. Student choice is essential! I love your statement that as teachers it is our job to help students discover their passion for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Casey,
    Thank you for sharing your reading life with us. Like you, many of us experienced the painful switch in school from choosing what we wanted to read to being assigned with little time for pleasure reading. You mentioned how when you read Routman's chapter 3 you agreed with her that all of our students can grow as readers if they are interested enough in the topic that they are reading. I agree with this and the suggestion that we as teachers model finding and relishing in reading about topics that we are passionate about and then helping guide our students to books that are aligned with their interests. Thank you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete