Sunday, September 20, 2015

Blondell Hardy Blog Post #2 The Habit of Kidwatching


 

Blondell Hardy’s Blog Post # 2:
The Habit of Kidwatching

By:  Timothy O’Keefe

Mr. O’Keefe presented several key points on kidwatching that are important. One of the most valid points included his definition on kidwatching, “learning to see what’s there and using that information to make a better classroom.”  I find this to be especially true as I observe the students in our classroom. I’m able to use my kidwatching notes to drive the instruction for planning in small and large groups.  

I also like how O’Keefe said kidwatching has the ability to push the curriculum forward into new and often unexplored territory.  Often times I find the instruction in our classroom being kid driven.  As the students become more comfortable with sharing and taking ownership of their classroom, I find that we are able to go deeper into the subject matter.  A prime example of this was last year when several students used technology to make oral reports on animals.  I discovered that a few of the boys were interested in dinosaurs and aquatic animals.  After a little research, I found an excellent website that allowed them to explore the habitat, diet, and other key points of interest on these animals.  They absorbed this information and was eager to share their findings with their classmates. 

The final point I connected with from the article was how sitting with a child and watching and listening carefully maybe the best thing we can do as educators to get to know our students as readers.  By doing so, I’m able to give feedback to the student to help him/her grow as a reader.  I’m also able to use these same notes to enhance the curriculum as a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Kidwatching is what we as teachers do all the time! I, too love how O'Keefe encourages us to use this information to make better classrooms. I love how you were able to adapt your classroom to your students' needs by letting their creativity and inquiry guide your practice. I am sure those students will always remember those projects that they created because they were so invested in the process. I am sure your new students this year will find their own niche and run with it, as well!

    ReplyDelete