Sunday, November 8, 2015

Allison Parliament's Blog Post 4: Garcia, Facilitating the Reading Process

I enjoyed how Garcia, had related how she had used CBM and MA interchangeably within her special education classroom, and how it showed significant results. As a special education teacher, I have been using CBMs as a form of progress monitoring for all my years in teaching, as a way to show growth within my students. I honestly have never used an MA, I only use a running record when it comes time for a students annual review IEP meeting. I always have enjoyed CBM, I have a baseline, to be able to pair my students based on similar instructional levels, and where they need intensive instruction. CBM's look at three things in which my students have struggled in one if not all of these three areas: fluency, accuracy, and automaticity. On a weekly basis, I measure my students fluency, and now with the same passage I can conduct an MA. Where it will evaluate the students on their letter reversals, misread words, and be able to see how the reader identifies an unknown word. In being aware what an MA is, I can know do that with them in their weekly fluency readings, be able to guide my lessons according to their needs.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Allison,
    With November's blog you had options of reading a chapter from the course menu from either Miller's or Routman's text or discussing your conferencing process with your small group and how it informs your instruction.
    This month you chose to blog about one of the choice articles for the November reading. I understand why you chose this since it looks at miscue analysis and curriculum based progress monitoring with students. You mentioned how you have used CBM as a form of progress monitoring and a baseline explaining how your students look at fluency, accuracy, and automaticity. When you conduct your CBMs and your running records, do you assess for student comprehension of what they've read? This may help provide you with information that can target your students' comprehension needs as well as fluency. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete