Saturday, November 28, 2015

Trippe. Blog Post 4. Nov. Routman Ch 7. Make Assessment Instruction’s Working Partner

This chapter addressed an ongoing concern of the majority of teacher, administrators, students, and parents I know- assessments, specifically too many assessments. I think Routman addresses this concern perfectly by pointing out that assessments should not be done just for assessment sake, or just for administrators, or just for state requirements, but assessments; should be done to drive instruction and move children forward.  

I particularly liked how Routman stated multiple times that if school or district policies are not supportive of classroom instruction and the best needs of students that teachers should address the concern with school or district administration. I agree with Routman’s statements about how assessments and evaluations should be part of the daily routine. When I was a self-contained special-education teacher all I did was plan, teach, and assess. I had to assess students’ progress through observing and monitoring in order to know what needed to be re-taught to whom, who needed more practice, and who was ready to move to the next step.  As Routman also states, assessment--- whether formal or informal--- has to be woven throughout the instructional day, otherwise we’re just robots going through the motion without concern for the students’ progress.

I also like how Routman pointed out the way to work conferencing in to the daily schedule.  I hear many teachers state that they don't know how they can ever get conferencing done with all of their students. Routman gives recommended time to spend with students at various levels and ages. I will be using the framework she provided for information reading conferences with the students in my Read Well group as well as the student I’m working with the My Sidewalks program.

Routman’s states, “… the most accurate information is obtained by carefully observing the child by your side, in the active reading. And when the students are assessed in connection with a book that they’re interested in---rather than a decontextualized text passage---optimal and accurate assessment is more likely.”  I have definitely noticed this in the library when I’m able to help students find books to read. When students read to me, I ask questions to assess their comprehension and am able to help guide them to “just-right books” if needed.  


Once again, Routman has given clear tips and sound experience to support reading assessment. I think applying the points in the chapter will improve reading instruction in any school. I look forward to using the strategies with students in instructional groups as well as more informally in the library.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    I appreciate the many ways you work to support what is best for our teachers and for our students and advocate for implementing best practices in the classroom and in the media center. I love how you shared that the formative assessment strategies Routman shared in this chapter for our work with students can be used in your small group and in your informal instruction in the library. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I love how you are helping students find "just right" books! I can tell you see the value of teaching those skills so that students do not become too reliant upon AR dot colors on the books. When they visit other libraries with different systems, as well as book stores, we want them to be equipped to find books that they can read, comprehend, and ultimately enjoy!

    ReplyDelete