Monday, November 2, 2015

Kelli Smith Blog Post #2 - Routman Chapter 3



I enjoyed reading this chapter about how important our own reading life is as teachers.  Is it fair to expect our students to enjoy reading if we don’t express to them that we too read?  We also read what we like and what interests us.  I think we need to let the students know that they can make choices and that it is ok to read what they like.  My students are special needs with moderate disabilities so they do not yet have the ability to read, but they still enjoy picking books that interest them.  Whenever I introduce a book to the class, I will often do a picture walk with my students and then suggest they do the same in order to see what the book they have picked is all about.  When we visit the school library and the students pick out their book for that week, we spend a good bit of time looking at those books and discussing them.  I then read each student their book individually and later have them share their book with the class any way they want.  Often I will talk to the class about a favorite children’s book of mine so that they can understand.  It would be inappropriate to discuss titles that they wouldn’t be able to understand.  After I discuss the book I sometimes follow up with a video for a more thorough understanding.   Many times we will “act out” the story using props in the classroom.  We do this with books I have read aloud as well as their individual favorites.  The students become engaged immediately and it is so much fun.  I have found it helpful to share my interests as it then opens the door for the student to share what they are interested in as well.  

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad they are interacting with the stories you share! I bet they absolutely adore acting out the stories! It is so encouraging to know that even those who are unable to read (and even communicate effectively) can express their likes and tastes when it comes to choosing books. Sharing your favorite stories with them is a great way for you to connect with them and I am sure this one of their favorite things to do in class!

    ReplyDelete