Sunday, November 1, 2015

Laura Keller - Blog #2 Routman Chap.5 Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library

As a second year teacher, man things are still in progress in my classroom.  I am still trying to figure out how to organize everything.  Some of my organization has changed since last year and some has not.  One thing that I did spend a tremendous amount of time on over the Summer, was organizing my Classroom Library.  After reading this chapter, I realized, I have a way to go to perfect the organization.

One of the things that this chapter made me realize is that I need to add more "Light Reading" to my collection.  Not every reader wants to pick up a chapter book and read it from page to page.  I actually identify with this myself because I enjoy "Light Reading" on a daily basis.  Another change is the choices of books that I have.  I actually have a great deal of chapter books for higher level readers, but I am lacking in things that interest my lower level readers.  In fact, I have spent more time sending my lower level readers to the library to pick a book because I do not have one that they have not already read.  Fortunately, I can pull from my massive home library and contribute to my classroom
.
I do love how this chapter says "Find out Students' Favorite Authors, Series, and Book Titles".  I am working on a survey to find out more from my students about their reading interest.  I try to write down any suggestion that they have and make a wish list.  I also take note when they order from Scholastic to see what they are ordering.  Interest, Interest, Interest is so important!  They will stay more engaged if they are interested in reading it.

Overall, I loved reading this chapter.  It is especially important for those of us that in the beginning of our careers to think about organization of a library while we are still creating it.

2 comments:

  1. Laura, it is awesome that you saw a need to work on your library and you spent some time evaluating it. It will never be "completed"! After 20 years, I still need to work on mine! Being in the classroom, your library will always be evolving as new students bring new interests every year. Keep sending those Scholastic book orders! I can't tell you how many books I received for free using points collected from student orders. It can help you add books for those lower level readers. Hopefully, the 100 book library provided by the district will help with some of the "light reading" and maybe lower level books, as well! If I can help you in any way with your library, please let me know. I love that you are surveying your readers! I have a Reading Survey you can look at to see if there are any questions you want to use for the one your are creating. I will e-mail it to you right now! I have used it for third graders before. Gathering this information will help you pinpoint books that your students may start fighting over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    I appreciate how you took time to read this chapter and then reflect on what you could improve in your classroom. This is our goal for the course! I appreciated how you decided you wanted to add more "light reading" into your classroom. I know how much I enjoy reading newspapers, magazines, and blog posts in my reading life and I know our students enjoy these reading materials as well. I also appreciated how you were creating an interest inventory to give your students to find out what topics and authors they were interested in so you could organize your library around text sets that you could highlight for them. Thank you! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete