Sunday, November 29, 2015

Routman; Chapter 3: Share your reading life (Jennifer Pitman)

Whoa, this chapter hit home!  The impact of making connections within your personal reading while sharing can open the minds of others.  I believe that's why we all love to hear a book read aloud, go to the live concert, have play dates with friends, etc.  It simply makes sense!  As an elementary student I vividly remember & enjoyed "Reading Rainbow" sharing new books, as well as, our school librarian allowing us to choose a stuffed animal to hold while listening to her share a book to us--this was way better than our round robin class reading that always stressed me out.

We are always told & encouraged to model, model & model again, its the repetition of learning.  I enjoyed how this chapter made it clear to share your own reading habits.  I read constantly and I enjoy my 'GoodReads' App so I can write a review, store bookshelves of books I'm currently reading, want to read, and see what my friends are reading.  I feel it's much like her journal.  I've never thought about sharing more than what's present in my classroom so I love the idea of sharing photos of my bookcases.  I can totally relate to having favorite authors and having my books pr-ordered for the date of release.  I've never  been a part of a book club but one day, maybe when I retire or my own kids get older I want to join one.  I talk to a lot of by bookworm friends by the GoodReads App but I'd love to hear real-live book conversations.

Being involved with our W.A.M.E. school news show, I'm proud that we take time to recognize our class 'Rockin' Reader & Awesome Author' this can help sell an author and gives children the chance to share their findings.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    In your blog post you mentioned how much you love to read and how much you enjoy discussing what you read and sharing it via Good Reads. I would love to be in a book club with you someday. With both of us having small children, it would most likely need to be digitally but I know we enjoy many of the same texts. Using this same structure of reading and talking about what we read in ways that promote conversation and depth of thought is definitely a structure applicable to the classroom. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want in on this book club,too! Let me know if you start one. It sounds like something I would enjoy. Jennifer, you are so right about how stressful round robin reading can be. A discussion is so much more authentic and personable!

    ReplyDelete