Monday, November 2, 2015

Blog #1 “The Habit of Kidwatching” – O’Keefe (Angela Anderson)

As I was reading this article, I gained insights into better ways to observe and learn from my students and what they are doing in my classroom.  I thought about how helpful it would be to have some roster/rubric checklists on a clipboard to assist in record keeping (kidwatching) for my students.  Since returning to second grade, I have used a binder notebook with sections for each child in order to keep reading conference/small group records.  I use various forms; but after our last D6 session, I think I may try using just paper and small sticky notes to keep records of what we do in reading groups and in independent reading conferences.  Miscue analysis coding and other note ideas suggested in the article seem like they would make kidwatching easier during independent reading block time.  I especially like the suggestion, “My advice would be to write something, even a single sentence, everyday about every child.”  I feel inspired to try to do this.  Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. I too have found success with a piece of paper! For so long I tried to force my kidwatching notes onto a form. I think I spent more time thinking about the form than I did thinking about the students. Last year, I ditched my forms and went with a piece of colored (so it would catch my eye) lined notebook paper on a clipboard. I was free! My notes became much more "child-centered" than "form-centered." Not that forms are bad, but for me, I felt limited by the form. I learned so much about my students by taking "open" notes on my blank page! For me, it worked...I hope it does for you, too!

    ReplyDelete