Monday, November 9, 2015

Ashley Skow - August Blog

Routman - Chapter 3


     I absolutely LOVE reading! But that hasn't always been the case. I've got about 5 times more books than I have space on my bookshelves (though that's not really saying much because my bookshelves, like my apartment, are very small). And even though I haven't read all the books I own I still usually go to the library to check out something I don't have.

     However, I haven't always loved reading. One thing that this chapter really stresses is that we, as teachers, should share our enthusiasm for and struggles with reading. One of my biggest struggles was finding books that I actually liked to read. I loved listening to my mom read me stories that were fun and interesting, but in school the books always seemed dull and pointless. These books were, of course, some sort of leveled readers...which really makes me wonder: if I, having grown up in a print-rich home learning that books can tell interesting stories, could learn to hate reading because of low-interest books used in instruction then what about our students who don't live in homes where books are readily available and where they are not often read interesting stories? Will those student ever learn that reading is anything short of torture if we do not surround them with high-interest reading material and show them that stories can be magical?

     During my first few years of elementary school I can't really remember reading anything else. However, a few years after the leveled reader incident I discovered the Mandie mystery series. I had FINALLY found books that I loved! I read a book, took an AR test, got a 100%, repeat. I loved the books so of course I was paying attention and understanding what I was reading. That's the goal, right? After three consecutive perfect scores I was told I could no longer read my favorite series and had to choose something more difficult. End of excitement. Two things stand out to me about this point in my reading development. 1) No one ever tried to get me to read DIFFERENT things, just harder. 2) AR didn't tell me what I COULD read, it told me what I COULDN'T. Either way, despite the fact that I have moved away from mystery books I still have an undying love for really long series which was first kindled by these books.

     In middle school I hit my next reading struggle, but one that I often feel uncomfortable sharing. By this point I practically lived my entire life inside books. I read books for school, yes. But most of the time I read my own books or books from the public library, and I didn't care what level they were on. With so much reading experience my AR level had risen to the point where it became difficult to find books on my level. At the beginning of seventh grade I scoured the library for a book that was supposed to be challenging enough for me. I still remember the book I found (the selection was pitiful), Giants in the Earth. As it happens, the book had absolutely nothing to do with giants. Everybody had the same name and the highlight of the first five chapters was that there was a storm. It was one of the few books I have ever walked away from. Again, I am struck by how AR detracted greatly from my reading experience.

     In high school and college I fell into a fairly common independent reading slump. We read SO much in EVERY class that by the time I was done with reading all of my homework assignments I was exhausted and wanted to do anything EXCEPT crack open another book. I'm still working on getting back into reading for pleasure. I've found that audiobooks are great because I can still experience a story while I'm driving, cooking, or cleaning. Sitting down to actually read a book is more difficult, but it's a work in progress.



Chapter Take-Aways

  • Don't keep your private reading life private: share your enthusiasm for reading outside the classroom IN the classroom
  • Hold yourself accountable for reading and show students how to hold themselves accountable for reading
  • Don't just teach how to read words: share the process of HOW you think as a reader and interact with a text

No comments:

Post a Comment