Monday, November 23, 2015

Varley Nov. Blog - Conferencing


Throughout the month of November I have been focusing on conferencing with the specific students in my kidwatching focus group. I have done this in a variety of ways. First, I have met with each of the students as they read their own books to check on their comprehension and reading fluency during independent reading time. I love meeting with my students in this setting because it allows them to feel comfortable and more confident in their reading abilities since it is a book of their choice and they are able to stay where they chose to sit during independent reading time. I like to start by having the student “catch me up” on what they are reading, which is a sneaky way of checking their summarizing skills and comprehension of the book so far. Then, I will ask them to read a little bit of their book to me from where they left off. I take notes as they read if I notice any patterns in their miscues. Then, I ask the students to retell me what they just read, to check their comprehension. With my focus group, specifically, I noticed that the students had a difficult time remembering what they had just read on that page, so I introduced the “read, cover, remember, retell” strategy to them to try. I also like to ask the students what they think their reading strengths are. I have been the most surprised by the answers that they have given me to this question. Two students said that they have none, which absolutely broke my heart. So, we brainstormed together and I let them know the strengths that I see in them as a reader. Then, I made sure to check in with them in subsequent independent reading times to compliment them on and remind them of their reading strengths. Other students were able to say right away things like, “I’m a great sounder-outer”, “I take my time” and more. Knowing how these students viewed themselves as readers helps me to build on their strengths and help them grow as readers. Another thing that I like to do in my conferences is to set a small goal with the student for their reading that we will check in with the next time we conference. When the students create the goal on their own, I have noticed that they are more motivated to reach that goal. I have also sat down with each of these students to complete an IRI passage and answer comprehension questions. This is more of a formal conference because we meet at the back table instead of at their desk and the reading material is predetermined. I do miscue analysis to assess the students’ miscues.  Throughout these two types of conferences with my focus group, I have noticed some similarities among the students in my focus group. One common skill they struggle with is inferencing. Every student in my focus group got at least one of the inferencing questions wrong during their IRI passage questions and often when I ask students to infer in their own books they can, but when I ask how they got their answer they just say “I don’t know”. After noticing this, I decided to meet with them as a small group during independent reading time to do a mini lesson on inferencing. This allowed for them to receive instruction that was individualized to the skills that they need the most help with. It also allowed for them to have more practice making inferences and interacting with the text with their peers. Without conferences I would not have been able to see the common skill that my focus group struggles with and I would not know very much about my students as individual readers. Conferencing allows me to build a reading relationship with my students and it helps to guide my instruction to meet their needs. After seeing these wonderful effects of conferencing, I certainly plan on continuing to do this not only with my focus group, but with my entire class.

No comments:

Post a Comment