Monday, November 2, 2015

Sheryl Elliott-Ch. 3- Routman Blog 3

Chapter three of Routman is explaining how important it is that I am the leader of reading in my classroom.  I love having “book talks” with my students.  I love telling them about the books that I am reading.  I think they love hearing how I have a hard time going to sleep and laying down the book!  They even say that’s why I’m cranky sometimes! J   I took a picture once of the stack of books beside my night stand that are on my “to read” list.  My students were amazed.  They even started their own “to read” list.  I like the idea of the monthly “author talk.”  I want to begin that really soon.  I think it’s important for students to see how excited I get about books.  We read chapter books together, just for the sheer pleasure of reading.  I love finding that “stop spot!”  You know the one that keeps them hanging.  That’s fun!  I love the author’s idea of keeping a personal reading record. I wish I had started that a long time ago.  I also wish I had done that with my own children.  Never too late, I guess!  Great chapter!

2 comments:

  1. Sheryl, I can feel the love you have of reading just from reading your post! Showing the picture of your "next" reads was a great way to motivate your students to do the same! Read-alouds were one of my favorite parts of teaching! There is nothing like bonding over a shared reading experience. What are you reading now? I would love to send the class a letter asking about what you are reading! Let me know if a letter exchange is something you would be interested in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheryl,
    I loved reading this post and how many of the strategies Routman shared that you are utilizing with your fifth grade students. I especially loved how you took a picture of your reading "to do" list by your nightstand and how after seeing it your students wanted to take pictures of yours. The book talks and personal reading records are all ways to encourage personal investment into what we read and what we want to read. These strategies not only provide us with an authentic record of reading but they also provide our students with motivation to want to read. Thank you! Dawn
    *If you show me your book "to read" list, I will show you mine! :)

    ReplyDelete