Sunday, November 22, 2015

Trippe. Blog Post 3. Oct. Miller Section 1: Not This


I loved the topic in this section about finding time during the educational day to support independent reading. I agree with the examples of frequent activities that may not be necessary: calendar, transitions, reading blocks, etc. I’ve talked with several teachers about adjusting their schedules and activities such as these to allow more time to support independent reading with their students. The example of “What Benches Are You Guarding” was great to show how some actions may be repeated year after year even though the original reason for implementation is no longer valid.

I frequently notice how some teachers utilize more time during the school day to capitalize on every second. I’ve seen teachers take advantage of transition times by reviewing facts or spelling words when waiting for related arts classes, lunch, or bathrooms. I’ve also seen teachers with organized and efficient procedures for lining students up that eliminate talking, pushing, etc. that often waste time.


I hope that through this course and especially this section that teachers will consider what activities they can modify during the school day that will provide time in the classroom that then can be used for independent reading. As we all strive to increase children’s reading levels and time spent reading, we will each have to consider “What Benches Are You Guarding” and how we can adjust our routines and implement new techniques to support independent reading.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    I agree with you that Miller's challenge to carefully examine the benches we are guarding is applicable to all of us and important so that we can ensure that we aren't doing more, but we are doing it better. Many times the days are filled with countless activities that are rushed through. I am more and more convinced that quality is just as important, maybe even more than quantity. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    I agree with you that Miller's challenge to carefully examine the benches we are guarding is applicable to all of us and important so that we can ensure that we aren't doing more, but we are doing it better. Many times the days are filled with countless activities that are rushed through. I am more and more convinced that quality is just as important, maybe even more than quantity. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, you are right. As a classroom teacher I always tried to evaluate what I was doing to make sure that I wasn't doing something just because I "always had" done it that way. We can always squeeze an extra minute here or there and over time those minutes add up to some pretty big chunks of time. I have always appreciated the fact that you are always willing to venture out and take risks for our students! You are always looking to improve student achievement!

    ReplyDelete