Monday, November 2, 2015

Rachel Johnson- CH 4- Routman Blog 4

This chapter covered many topics but the one that spoke to me the most was the last page-raise your expectation.  Before last year, as a I teacher I would say I have high expectations for most of my students. That’s right, I said most of my students. I expected those students who were in Horizons, had parental support, were motivated high achievers, etc. to perform above grade level and I would not accept less than top quality work.  However, I did not hold those students who struggled, were below grade level, or did not have great parental home support to the same expectation.  I had a student in my class last year that proved me wrong-just as Routman said he would in this chapter.  Last year I had a child who was below grade level, had behavior issues, and had NO parental support at home.  His grades had always been C, D, or F.  I knew this child because I taught the older sibling and I decided that I wasn’t going to accept his below standard performance.  I worked with him during specials, at 7AM when he got off the bus, and every spare moment.  I pushed him as hard as I pushed my “elite” group of students.  And guess what-he rose to the occasion. When he saw that I was holding him accountable he actually tried.  Was he a straight A student?  No.  But he was an A & B student with some C grades every now and then.  This child, and Routman, showed me that if I don’t believe in the child and hold them to a high standard neither will the child.

3 comments:

  1. Rachel, I am so glad you everyone to the same standard! I would never want anyone to think that a C, D or F is acceptable for my child with a disability. I expect him to do as well as everyone else in the class...and he should be able to as long as he receives the accommodations he needs, support, and a lot of hard work and effort on his part! Kids know what we expect of them and often they will strive to meet that expectation. If our expectations are low, then their performance will reflect that as well. That is awesome that you invested in this student and you were able to see the fruits of your labor! Is there a student in your room this year that needs a little encouragement and extra love? I would love to mentor him/her if needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that every child should know they need to meet all of the same expectations. The students are given accommodations so that with those conditions they are able to successively learn like the rest of their peers in that classroom. The students will meet what ever expectation that you set for them at the beginning of that school year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,
    I loved how you transacted with this chapter and opened up your personal experience with a student to prove Routman's point that every child deserves high expectations. Many times we want to "go easy" on our students who struggle because we see that they may not have all of the same benefits of parental involvement, access to books and technology, etc. that their peers but instead of helping the child, these lowered expectations in fact, hurt the child. When they see we don't believe they can it is defeating. I love that you tested this theory and the combination of high expectations with support and compassion proved to be successful! Thank you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete