Sunday, November 22, 2015

B. Hardy November Blog Post 4 - Is There Enough Time? By: Debbie Miller

My eyes were instantly drawn to the question posted as the chapter title, “How Can You Find the Minutes?”  The author was referring to the minutes necessary to increase independent reading in a daily schedule.  As I reviewed my current daily schedule, I analyzed and reflected on which instructional activities were essential and which practices I found to be not beneficial and was willing to release.   

I realized that many of the activities throughout the school day dealt very little with real reading.  This chapter also helped me to focus on real questions I should be concerned with.  Most importantly, do the current instructional activities involve ways for the students to make meaning of the text?  Are the current activities allowing the students to grow as a reader and most importantly what issues are the students currently struggling with as they read?

The article helped me to realize one of my major task as an instructor involves monitoring and giving feedback to the students as they are reading which in turn will allow them to become better readers.  I especially loved the statement, “Independent reading in silence without support means children suffer in silence.”  What a powerful visual that speaks volumes!

1 comment:

  1. Blondell, you are right! Students do need support while they are reading! The use of scaffolding with IR time can take your IR block to a whole new level. I am sure your students are very vocal during their IR time and you can easily make your way around the room, stealing a few minutes with each student as they "read" at whatever level they may be at, whether they are reading the pictures, or the words. I love how you are evaluating your practices as you are reading the professional texts!

    ReplyDelete