Sunday, November 22, 2015

Beth Sullivan-Blog Post #4 Miller Section 1: Not This

Section 1 of Miller and Moss’ book brings to light the importance and benefits of providing time for students to read independently each day and shows teachers that the time for students to read independently can be found in an already busy school day.  Miller also stresses that not only do students need time to practice reading they must also be taught and given the tools they need  through instruction to become proficient readers.   There were so many things in Section 1 that really stood out to me.  I liked Miller’s reference to guarding benches as she helped show that there is time in a school day for independent reading.   I think that for most teachers one of the greatest challenges we face is finding the minutes in our day to get everything in and still be effective.  I know that sometimes at the end of the day I am exhausted and my students are exhausted.  I pushed them hard as we flew through the day trying to get it all done.  However, I often feel that in the drive to get it all in sometimes important teachable moments are overlooked and missed.  A large portion of this section focused on a visit to a school in Baltimore where Miller and a literacy coach spent a day examining all that was done in an attempt to find minutes to implement time for independent reading.  The visit showed many lost minutes throughout the day as well as some instructional time that could have been used more effectively. There were many things mentioned in this section that I know that I have done or still do.  This section was a great reminder of the importance of taking a close look at the activities I use in my classroom and make sure that they hold value and are effective and that I am not just using them and doing them because it is something I have always done.

Independent reading time in my classroom is quickly becoming one of my favorite parts of the day.  I love seeing how excited my emergent readers are at reading and how excited they are to share their new skills with me.  This section emphasized that just providing time for independent reading is not enough to help students become readers. I loved what Miller said, “Children learn to read by reading… but not without instructional support.”  Students need instruction and need to be taught and given the tools to become proficient readers.  I think all teachers will agree that providing time for students to read is important if students are to become readers.  This section clearly showed that providing time for students to read independently can be found in an already busy school day but it requires teachers being willing to change and let some things go.  Finally, finding time for students to read independently is just a first step in helping students become strong independent readers.  Students must have instruction and support as they read.  This section left me with lots to think about as I implement independent reading time in my classroom.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Beth,
    I appreciate the thought you put into this blog post. I agree with Miller that when we take the challenge of closely examining our schedules and daily routines and practices we can find areas of time that may not be spent as productively or even on a priority. You said it best in your post when you wrote about how many of our days we are rushing to get everything done only to end exhausted and realizing that maybe we missed out on some very important teachable moments. I don't have the answer to slowing down but I do know that we can be more intentional about how we use our time with our students. I loved every one of the suggestions you listed. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete