Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Blog Post #4-Conferencing



Blog Post #4- Conferencing
Karen Rosenberger

One of the most successful years I had conferencing with students was when I had a student teacher in my classroom. It was an absolutely perfect situation. With two of us, we conferenced each day with at least four or five students. I felt as if my independent reading time was effective and meaningful. And then, she was gone! It was like being a first year teacher all over again. I had to start from scratch. My independent reading block was never exactly the way I wanted it to be. I decided to start over. I needed something that I could handle on my own that would allow me to spend quality time with my students to get to know them as readers.
At the beginning of this year, we created some class anchor charts to learn about what good readers do. IPICK, What is Independent Reading?, Just Right Books, and Read to Self are hanging in the classroom for students to reference if they get off track. I love it when students look at the posters to help them remember what good readers should do!  As teachers, we have to model and teach good reading strategies, and then allow students time to apply what they have learned. We are also holding students accountable. Conferencing allows us reteach, set reading goals, monitor the books students are choosing, and check for understanding. Students are actually getting one on one instruction during this time. It is also a time for my students to ask me questions about books I am currently reading.
For me, the key to successful conferencing is to have a plan. It is so important to teach the children what is expected of them during the independent reading block. As I am conferencing with a student, the rest of the class is allowed to “sit around” the room. The most popular choices are the teacher’s desk, cozy chairs, the back carpet, and the “R” stool. I have found that my students enjoy independent reading more when they are in a comfortable spot where they can stretch out and immerse themselves in their book.
Learning how to conference successfully does take time, but it is so worth the reward. Not only does it lead your instruction, it also allows you to learn new things about your students every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment