Saturday, October 17, 2015

Decken Blog Post 2: Routman Chapter 2: Share Your Reading Life

Most of my students love to read.  The ones that don't are the ones I am constantly bugging (begging) to read. I share past reading experiences with my students so they see my love for reading and to try to inspire them to find books that they love and read.  Even now in my adult life, I still enjoy reading.  I usually only have time to read in the Summer, but I still love it.  I also get hooked on what's "current" or popular among others.  For example, when The Hunger Games trilogy was all the craze, you better believe I was among it!  Same with Twilight.  I hope to pass this reading love onto my students so they find stories to "get lost" in or somehow relate to.

This year, I have started to do chapter book read alouds with my students as part of our SSR time.  I believe it is important for students to hear an adult read.  In the past, I've only read aloud picture books or something quick.  This year I started with the Wayside School series because they were some of my favorite books as a kid.  We just finished the first book this past week, and the kids have loved it!  They laugh at the funny parts, get sad when a character is sad, and have shown emotions throughout the book.  When I told them we finished it on Friday, they were sad, but excited at the same time because they knew I'd start another book.  I would also like to read aloud Chris Colfer's new series, The Land of Stories.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Hunger Games! #TeamPeta and #TeamGale arguments are the BEST! Let's create Book Battles in our Co Teach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found a similar passion to get hooked to a book, and love when I can share my love of the book with others. I have students that love to read or they dread reading time, I also want to create that "book love club" in my room as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are reading from a chapter book daily with your students! That was one of my favorite parts of being a teacher! There is nothing like bonding over a shared reading experience! What will you read next? I cannot wait to find out. I may send your students a letter and ask them about the book! Who knows, maybe one of two of them will want to write me back and tell me about the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shannon,
    I loved the Hunger Games series too and my oldest daughter, Lily Grace just finished the Land of Stories and loved it! I appreciate you fostering a love of reading with your third graders through thoughtful read alouds and through you opening up and sharing with them your reading life. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete