Sunday, October 25, 2015

Tami Broomall's October Blog Post 3: Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library

After reading this chapter, I realized that my classroom library needs a makeover - badly!  Two primary questions come to mind in thinking about how to make changes:
1. How do I deal with the small amount of space I have?
2. What is the best way to organize the books I do have?
When I started teaching math exclusively and changed the way I was teaching it, the amount of space I had for my classroom library shrunk because of the number of manipulatives I needed to put out.  I do have baskets for the books, but a very limited number and a small space in which to display them. One idea from the chapter that I think would be beneficial is to have a display of books that is changed regularly - that way, students would be able to see more of the books that I do have.
Organization is also an issue with my current library.  When I first started at AMES, I was encouraged to group my books by lexile level and they have remained that way over the years.  Just the other day, a student came to me looking for a book and asked me where to find the "girl books" - I realized I had no good answer for her.  The "girl books" were spread throughout the baskets according to their lexile level, making them difficult for her to locate.
Even after reading the chapter, I'm still not sure how to proceed on the makeover - do I ask the students to help as Routman suggested or will the amount of space I have make that too difficult a task for them? Suggestions are welcomed!!!

2 comments:

  1. Tami, I would love to come look at your library and assist with organizing it! I love that you aren't afraid to say that it needs some work. We can get creative with your space restraints, reorganize by genre, topic, theme, etc. and find a way to involve the students with it, as well. They could definitely give suggestions as to the way they want it organized. Let's talk soon! I am ready for the challenge of the "math teacher's extreme library make-over!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tami,
    I would consider leaving the lexile labels on your books but then grouping them by student interests such as authors, topics, and genres. These are are typically how books are organized in public libraries. The fiction books are grouped by authors and the nonfiction books are grouped by genres and by topics. I also love Routman's idea of involving students in the process. Thank you for being open to trying out a new structure. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete