Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Teach with a Sense of Urgency Blog #2 Carolyn Shackelford

In this chapter Routman reminds us that we need to make every minute in the classroom count. That using our time with our students more efficiently and effectively will continue to help them grow into thoughtful, independent readers. Routman discusses an optimal learning model which, when used helps teachers understand where a student is a reader and determine the level of support a student needs. I think that this should be the basis of differentiating reading instruction in our classrooms.
He encourages us to think of teaching "as a powerful, invitational relationship that pulls the learner in." I agree with this idea of meeting students where they are instead of forcing them to fit into some preset model or program. As an elementary student, I found the "regular" reading classes so boring and couldn't wait until they were over so that I could read books that I had selected for myself.

Routman discusses including interactive reading where the teacher reads aloud and invites students to talk about the text during the reading. This year, as I read 40 Acres and Maybe a Mule to my classes, there were times when I needed to stop to make sure that they understood what was happening in the story, making sure they were making the connection between the plot of the story and what we had learned about Reconstruction in social studies. Other times, when the plot became very suspenseful or exciting, it was better to let them just listen until the end of the chapter and then discuss. In both cases, I could see my lower readers gaining understanding from these discussions. Sometimes, even my higher level readers needed clarification as well, which then benefited the entire class.

After reading this chapter, I am looking forward to including more of Routman's four phases of learning- demonstration, shared demonstration, guided practice and independent practice into my reading lessons. In doing this, I hope to raise expectations for my students and see continuous growth in their reading skills.



2 comments:

  1. Your shared reading experiences with your students through read-alouds will build relationships and help them comprehend the texts they are reading independently. Being able to model your thinking while reading will give them concrete experiences that will help them with their own thinking. That is awesome! Have you tried thinking stems with them? They can help students practice what good readers think about while reading. Eventually if they practice enough, they start thinking these things on their own. Let me know if you are interested in trying them (if you haven't already) and I will gather some resources for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolyn,
    You brought up several great strategies from your reading of Routman's chapter. Like you, I really appreciated her Optimal Learning Model which really provides for a gradual release of responsibility with the reading strategies by providing demonstrations, shared demonstration, guided practice, before independent practice. Her interactive reading strategy I have found is successful with a heterogeneous group because it provides a natural support for all students. Thank you! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete