Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Beth Sullivan-Blog Post #3 Routman Chapter 5-Organizing an Outstanding Classroom Library

I love books and this love is reflected in my classroom.  I have lots of books and children books are my all-time favorites!  I definitely can say that I have a book addiction.  However, my classroom library is a true work in progress.  Two summers ago I spent days trying to organize the many books I had collected over the years.  However, I am still not completely satisfied with my classroom library.  This chapter was great and very informative.  It has given me many things to think about as I continue to add to and improve my classroom library.  For example, I need to add more nonfiction books to my classroom library including magazines.  I also appreciated Routman’s comments on de-emphasizing the focus on leveled books and also focusing on quality books that are geared toward the interests of students.  This has been an area of concern for me as I reflect on my classroom library.  My books are organized by subject and theme rather than leveled.  I have always used separate tubs for my leveled books.  I have struggled with knowing the best way to organize my books in a way that makes them easy to find and still makes it easy for my students to find books at their reading levels.  This chapter reinforced the importance of helping students understand how to find just right books.  Libraries organized by subject and theme will work if students know how to find a just right book.  I also like the ideas of getting students involved in organizing the classroom library and creating interest in new books through book talks and top ten lists.  This chapter reminded me that classroom libraries are always works in progress.  The needs and interests of students are continually changing therefore classroom libraries should also be changing.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right! Our classroom libraries will never be finished, as each year we have different students with different wants and needs. I will talk to Laura about some lower level magazines for your classroom. I am sure she has some that she could pass along to you or even get a subscription for you. I will let you know! I would love to come and look at your library and see if I can offer any help with making the books more easy to find while still making it easy for your students to find books at their reading levels. Let me know if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth,
    I am a book lover and fellow book addict too! I believe you can never have too many books for students to choose from and over the years my organization style for books in my library in my school and now at home has grown and changed over the years. While I include the levels on the books to help me know the levels I like to group them by topics of interests, author, and genre and that changes each year depending on my students' interests. I appreciate how you are taking a look at your library too and determine what will work best this year for you and for your students. Thank you! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete