Thursday, October 8, 2015

Nicole Ashley Blog #3- October Blog on Chapter 2: Bond with Your Students

I loved reading about bonding with your students.  I have learned over the years that it does make such a difference when you take a special interest in each child and value them as a sweet person.  I think we all know that as teachers, we do so much more than just teach.  We are their mothers at times, their only supporters at times, and sometimes the only person they can count on to be their advocate.  I loved the part where he said, "You must reach into their hearts first before you can reach into their minds." I know in my class, when nothing else seems to make them listen....when I tell a personal story, they are ALL ears.  It's that personal connection that really makes a difference.  I also enjoyed the section in this chapter about letting them shine.  I believe in that....as a first grade we do a program called Star Student where each week we focus on one student and make it ALL about them.  It's their time to shine....and sometimes it's the only time they will get to shine.  When they share about their lives, it's important that they know that their teacher values their lives!!  I guess the most beneficial thing in the chapter was to just enjoy your students!  I enjoy hearing about their accomplishments and the exciting things that happen in their lives. 

2 comments:

  1. You have always had a gift at building lasting relationships with your students! I know that because of these relationships, your students want nothing more than to please you! Sharing your personal experiences is something those students will never forget! I am sure they go home and tell all your stories to their parents. You are right when you say we should enjoy our students. If we don't why would we ever teach??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole,
    What you wrote in this post blessed me because it is so very true. Our students don't care what we know until they know that we care. Building those personal relationships with our students is an investment into each one of them individually and into our whole class, collectively. You mentioned how you really connected with the section about "shine" and the strategies we can utilize to help praise and positively reinforce the ways our students are growing and who they are as people. I loved how the chapter gave us permission to enjoy our students. That is why I came into this profession...I truly love children and love being around them. Many times this can get overshadowed by the push for academic achievement. I've never had a year where my students didn't grow when they knew I loved them and we worked to show it. Thank you for loving your students each and every day! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete