Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Kelli Smith Blog Post #3: Routman Chapter 12: You Only Have So Much Time



I enjoyed this chapter so much for many reasons.  I totally agree that time can be a teacher's worst enemy with all of the increasing demands that are put on us each day.  It seems like it is a never ending list of "to do's".  One section that I can definitely relate to in this chapter is “Keep a Lively Pace”.  In this section, Routman discusses that the average kid can attend for less than ten minutes before they need to take a break.  The pace within the classroom and within each lesson is so important.  I find in my classroom with special needs students that the time I can get their attention is usually much shorter than ten minutes.  Some days it is more like two or three minutes.  However, I do notice that when the pace is “lively” and we are moving along with energy and interesting content, they seem to be more engaged and we can stretch the two or three minutes out much further.  There have even been occasions where I look up at the clock and realize we have gone over because every student stayed with me and seemed so engaged.  I also love the section in this chapter where Routman discusses the use of transitions as teaching moments.  We can reinforce what has been taught during these times that could be lost as "downtime."  I think as we move through the hallway as a class we  can focus on certain skills and still make it fun.  One example used in the text is where the teacher uses a vocabulary word in a sentence.  The teacher says, “I’m flabbergasted that anyone would want to delay going to lunch.”  In my classroom we may use something more like “We are going to recess now and the word recess begins with the letter /R/.”  I think if we spend more time thinking, as Routman suggests, we may be able to have more fun and still get all of the work done.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure there are times when you feel like your students are overstimulated and need some downtime! Looking at your transitions and finding ways to turn them into teachable moments can help you make the most of your time with your students. I love that you are evaluating your current practices and seeing where you can increase their learning experiences!

    ReplyDelete