Saturday, October 17, 2015

Suits Blog Post 2: Routman Ch. 5 Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library

Speaking of that disheveled classroom library...

Creating an outstanding classroom library has been on my teacher "to-do" list for about 4 1/2 years now.  It just never seems to get done.  In my teacher dream land, I have books on books on books.  My whole classroom looks like a cozy place to rest your weary legs and brain and just read.   My kids can pick a book on any topic they want, that's on their level, and it's an AR book! If my kids need a suggestion, I have that perfect one. In my teacher reality though, I teach 6 grade levels! I need books on a pre-kindergarten level all the way to 5th grade, and I would have to cover a lot of topics to interest for my students ranging from age 5 to age 12.  I have looked into making this dream library happen. Want to know what I saw? $$$$$$$, and lots of it.  I saw time too, but that part I don't mind putting in.  I have been able to create part of the dream though.

In my room, I've been able to add a comfy couch, carpet, and pillows galore.  Students can lay on the couch or share it with a friend as long as they are reading.  They can create fun reading forts in the nooks and crannies of the classroom to allow them to read in a cool place.  I do have great aspects to my library. My kids love the book bucket labeled "Miss Suits' Favorites," and the ever popular Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series, the Magic Tree House Series and the I Survived Series. Sometimes you just have to celebrate the little things, so I will celebrate that!

I know that as time goes on, I will be able to build my library and fill it with all of the most wonderful books for every level and topic! It just takes time.

4 comments:

  1. My favorite part is the couch. Teachers need therapy time, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought about sending Scholastic Book Club flyers with your students? I know one set of parents that would buy some. The points can add up quickly and be used to purchase books. It is easy to set up! I can help you set up an account to get you started. Goodwill and even Ollie's can be a great place to get cheap books. You just have to take time to look through them! Even after teaching twenty years, I wish I had more books. That will never change and you will never feel like you have enough, and that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mollie,
    I loved reading your blog post and your hopes and dreams for your classroom library. I appreciate how many different grade levels you teach and how many different levels you need in your classroom library. In a regular education classroom teachers need a variety of levels and interests as well because our students aren't all the same - not the same interests and experiences, not all the same reading levels and author lovers...Variety is important and while books are expensive there are a variety of ways to help increase your classroom library without breaking the bank. My favorites are used book stores such as Pages on Pine in Spartanburg and Amazon used books. Many times my students have brought in their own books that they no longer are interested in for their friends to read. Like Nicole said, you can never have too many books and your collection will continue to grow. Thank you for all you do for our students. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete