Thursday, October 29, 2015

Ashley Skow - October Blog

Routman - Chapter 5


     As a beginning teacher, setting up and stocking my classroom library has often occupied my thoughts. Every time I walk into a classroom that has a visible library I look at what kinds of books it has, how its organized, how books are labeled, etc. and make a mental note of what I see that I might want to emulate in my own classroom.

     One of the problems with classroom libraries that this chapter addresses is the need for a greater volume of reading materials. I have been so fortunate to inherit boxes of books from a retiring teacher. However, when I started sorting through these books I realized another problem: that my book collection was severely lacking in several key genres like chapter books and nonfiction text. Since then I have been slowly perusing used book stores for cheap and lightly worn books in these genres, especially books that I've noticed kids reading in the classes I've been in.

     I found it interesting, but not at all surprising, that this chapter supports taking the emphasis in reading off of choosing books by level, and yet the school system is so attached to the leveling systems it uses. Teaching students to find their own "just right" books can be challenging and time-consuming, but it teaches them to choose books that interest them and take ownership of their reading. It also conveys the belief that every life-long reader has: reading is FUN!

Chapter Take-Aways

  • Surround children with books, at home and all around the classroom
  • Get kids reading - chapter books, series, non-fiction, magazines, book reviews, comic books - and enjoying what they read
  • Have a classroom library that is visible, inviting, comfortable, diverse, organized, accessible, and fun
  • Teach children to love, respect and care for their books

My Favorite Fun Classroom Library

Space to display book covers in the middle and
room for lots of books on either side


1 comment:

  1. Ashley, it is great how you are already amassing books for your future classroom! One way you can get free books is by sending home Scholastic book orders to your students. (I know one parent of one of your students that would buy some!) You earn points for every dollar they spend and then you can buy books with the points! It can help with adding some different genres to your library. I love the ReadBox! Kids would definitely be drawn to that display. It also conveys that they are "borrowing" them and might encourage them to take care of them before they return them. All of your "take-aways" were right on the money! Great post!

    ReplyDelete