Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Jill McDougald Blog Post #3 Teach with a Sense of Urgency-Ch. 4 Routman

In Chapter 4, Routman explained that we need to "teach with a sense of urgency."  She explains that we need to make every second count.  I know that I try to teach every second around children being pulled out for RTI, speech, resource and ESOL.  It is very important that I know and understand the academic needs of all my students to maximize my instruction time.

In reading this chapter last night, I tried a new method in class today.  Routman talks about interactive reading, so I decided to try it as we were reading our shared reading story.  The class read the story with me.  Next, I asked a comprehension questions about the story.  The students were asked to turn and talk with their group about the question and come up with the answer as a group. Most of the time the same students raise their hand to answer the questions.  I felt this let my slower learners talk in a less threatening environment.  I observed all students talking and interacting with their group.  I know I will use this strategy more often because it engaged all my students!

2 comments:

  1. I love how you were willing to go in the very next day and try something new! How awesome that all of your students were engaged and participating in a group discussion. I am sure all of them were able to contribute to the conversation. I would love to come see these little readers/thinkers in action! I also love that even though you are in the "home stretch" of end of your teaching career you are not afraid to try new things and you are still working to be a better teacher and be the best you can be for your students! You are growing so much this year (look at you blogging!) and I am so proud of you. Your students are so lucky to have you as their teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill,
    I LOVED reading how you tried out a strategy from Routman's chapter 4 with your students this month. Interactive reading promotes engagement while also providing support from the teacher through the reading and the discussion. I know your students appreciated the opportunity to discuss the comprehension questions with their group and decide on their group answer to participate in the discussion. I appreciate how you always work to apply what you are learning into your practice Jill! You motivate me! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete