Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Evatt Blog #3 October- Routman Chapters 6 and 7

Chapter 6: Plan for Monitoring Independent Reading
     In chapter 6, Routman does a great job of distinguishing between the difference of SSR and Independent Reading.  The chart on page 85 explains the similarities and differences between the two.  Routman also discusses that readers, especially struggling readers, need more time to read and need guidance in selecting just right books. Students also need feedback from the teacher after reading, so the teacher can guide them.  Students need to practice what the teacher has demonstrated to them.  In order for students to practice, they need to read just right books and the teacher needs to give them feedback about what they are doing well and what they need to work on.  Of course, for students to be successful readers, they need  a "well-designed and well-stocked classroom library, one that been set up with and BY students, includes their interests and preferences, and provides comfortable seating areas."
     I used to be a SSR teacher.  My kids were reading, but there was no rhyme or reason to what they were reading.  In the past two years, I have seen that my kids have grown as readers because of the intentional way I have set up independent reading.  Routman clarified my misgivings about letting students just pick any kind of books.  I believe there is a time and place for free choice book reading but they need to read "just right books" for independent reading so they can practice what I have taught them and guided them through.  But with that being said, there needs to be a lot of time spent teaching kids what a "just right book" looks like.  It can't just be that it is the right AR level.  We all know that the ranges in AR are not always the most accurate.  I believe in using AR in my classroom but it is only one small part of my total reading program.  Independent Reading is one of my most favorite parts of the day.  While conferencing with students, I love hearing my kids laughing out loud at something they are reading. 


Chapter 7: Make Assessment Instruction's Working Partner
     Chapter 7 discusses that dreaded word- assessment.  Every teacher, regardless of where they teach has to give some type of state, district,  or school mandated assessment.  But Routman stresses that assessments that teachers use in their classroom are vital tools to guide instruction.  Lorrie Shepard states, "Assessments should bring about benefits for children, or data should not be collected at all."
Assessments come in all different shapes and sizes.  But most importantly teachers have to use what works for them and their students.  They should create and use assessments that give them feedback about their student's strengths and weaknesses.  Assessments should drive instruction. Not vice versa.
     One of the best assessment tools I use are my anecdotal records I keep during independent reading.  Sitting with a child and listening to them read is the best way for me to gauge where they are and where they need to go.  In my opinion, informal assessments are the best.  Of course I use formal assessments, but I still take notes on the weekly tests they take.  Those notes on formal assessments also help guide my instruction.  Bottom line- assessments of all kinds need to be done daily, weekly and monthly!

2 comments:

  1. Leslie, I completely agree about assessments being "vital tools to guide instruction", especially the ones we use that are not state or district mandated. If we are assessing just for the sake of a grade to put in the grade book and not using the information to guide our instruction, then the assessments are not benefiting our students or ourselves and can even be wasting valuable instructional time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that students need to be taught how to find just right books! Even if they know what their "AR book level" is, the real world is not leveled for us. I am so thankful that our teachers are taking the time to teach our kids how to find those "just right" books. I also believe there should be time for them to explore the "not right" books, as well. So much can be gained from those too easy and too hard books, too. Of course we cannot allow students to abuse the right to choose those books by only choosing books that are too easy or too hard. Leslie, I love the fact that you take notes on the assessments you give to your students! Too many times, a weekly test is given, scored, and recorded without looking at what the students did well and what they still need to continue to practice. If we are assessing the skills we are teaching them to use each week, and taking note of their acquired skills, the assessments can be invaluable in allowing us to design our instruction to meet our students needs. Your students are so lucky that you look at those assessments and use them to drive your instruction, and that they aren't just a number in a grade book.

    ReplyDelete