Friday, October 23, 2015

Jennifer Pitman- Ch.3: Share Your Reading Life

    I LOVED this chapter...mainly because I agree with all the reading sharing ideas!  I have always enjoyed reading even when I didn't test well on the comprehension questions.  I find myself using the same resources she suggestions to do with our students of talk to a friend about a recommendation of a book, who else knows you better than your friend & cool is it to be able to group up with your buddy & talk about the same book.  This year I have enjoyed using the GoodReads App to see reviews, publish reviews, & compare what others are reading & their suggestions.  I have used this app with my students to get them to see other books by that author & it allows you to rate the book. In this chapter I was drawn to how it's main focus is on modeling good reading & the importance of reading for pleasure -- because reading is so important, we do it constantly!
     When I see my kids share books on WAME or bring into the classroom I like to see their interest & try to get books or suggest books that they may like.  I always have shared what I am reading to the class & bring in the books to share vocabulary that they are learning in our room that's in my book as well to show even as an adult I read just like they do.  I will have to take a picture of my nightstand & bookcases to share my personal side of reading- I liked this suggestion so the kids see how real it is in our life as well.
     Thoughts & ideas to use from this chapter in my class are:
-Book Suggestion Board (copy of cover of book & have students rate it with stars)
-Author Suggestion Board
-Book Clubs

2 comments:

  1. I love your take aways from this chapter. Have you thought about utilizing Padlet for your book suggestion board? It is awesome that your students are talking and rating the books they read. Would you be willing to share this app at one of our meetings? I think the teachers would love to hear about this app you are using and how it has enriched your classroom and your students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pitman,
    I loved Routman's suggestions in Chapter 3 too for helping to share our love for reading as teachers. Taking pictures of our must read books or favorite books helps show our students not only what we read, but who we are as readers and as people. Showing what we choose to read is a powerful tool in motivating our youngest readers. I appreciate the thoughts and ideas you had for your class from the chapter. Love book clubs! Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete