Friday, October 30, 2015

Blog Post #3- No More Independent Reading Without Support Karen Rosenberger



Blog Post #3- No More Independent Reading Without Support


I found Section 2, What Practices Are Critical for Effective Independent Reading? very helpful. I agree that in order for students to grow as independent readers, they must be given the specific tools needed. 

Students must be given classroom time to read. Studies have shown that effective teaching involves more time spent on independent reading. Students also need to choose what they read. I spent the beginning of the school year teaching the IPICK strategy. I look at a book. Purpose- Why do I want to read a book? Interest- Does this topic interest me? Comprehend- Do I understand what I am reading? Know the words- Do I know most of the words? We have it on an anchor chart hanging in the classroom. I see students walking over to the chart when they are choosing “Just Right Books”. Teachers need to model what, why, and how good readers read. Classroom libraries need to be filled with a wide variety of books and access to those books. Finally, students must be given the opportunity to talk about what they read. 

In my opinion, knowing how to choose “Just Right Books” is essential in order for children to grow as readers. I love the Genre Wheel referenced in Section 2 of the book. Students are directed to read at least one book from all ten genres. When they have read a book, they record the title in the correct genre and color it in. What an accomplishment for readers, even struggling readers, to have read such a wide variety of books! In order for independent reading to be successful, teachers need to be guiding, teaching, and interacting with their students.

1 comment:

  1. I love the IPICK strategy because your students are picking not only books on their level, but also books they are interested in and have a purpose for reading. The genre wheel would be a great way to vary and increase your student's reading diet. Have you thought about using one? I can get you a poster of one if you'd like to use it! Karen, I agree with you about interacting with students during independent reading. We can get to know them so much more as readers and as people when we use that time for conferring!

    ReplyDelete