Sunday, October 25, 2015

Tami Broomall's August Blog Post 1: Share Your Reading Life

After reading "Share Your Reading Life," I feel like I got called out, both personally and professionally!
Personally, I've really been neglecting my reading life lately.  With so many things going on and so many things to get done, I haven't made time for reading lately.  Reading has always been my greatest escape from the "real world" and now it seems like I'm substituting TV for reading, probably because I can multi-task and get work done while I'm watching TV.  For my own sanity, I really need to carve out more time so that I can just enjoy reading again.  I did that for the first time in a long time this week and it felt great!  I borrowed a student's copy of the latest Rick Riordan (one of my favorite authors) book and then proceeded to get lost in it.  I read quite a bit for professional development (the latest books on teaching math and assorted teacher blogs), but I have really ignored reading for enjoyment and I realized after reading this chapter how much I miss it.
Professionally, I need to do a better job of sharing reading with my students.  I already knew that the personal connections I make with students are hugely important so I try daily to talk with students about their lives outside of school and also share things with them about my own life away from school; however, I realize now that I need to make more of an effort to talk with students about what they are reading and also share with them what I am reading.  I particularly liked Routman's idea of now, next, and last favorite books - this would be an easy and quick way to share my reading life with students and also to learn more about their interests.  The reading record is also an interesting idea and one I think would be fairly easy to implement.
The bottom line is that I need to read more for enjoyment and also encourage my students to do the same!

2 comments:

  1. I bet it felt good to do some pleasure reading! I, too have been guilty the past few months of not reading for pleasure. All of the professional reading that comes along with this job has also made time for reading for pleasure very scarce. I will also need to carve out some time to get lost in a book! I am thrilled you are going to try the idea of "now, next, and last" with your students. I cannot wait to hear how it goes. I know you will learn so much about your students and continue to build those lasting relationships with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tami,
    I needed this real world reminder too! As an avid reader myself I know that the business of the first six weeks of school always takes over and personal reading texts wait patiently on my professional to do list. I know soon though that my professional routine will settle in to the rhythm of the school year and I will be able to pick up a text to get lost in. I am a Rick Riordan fan too and so is my oldest daughter. I recently loved reading Ron Rash's latest text and found myself talking about it with my colleagues, with my husband, and with my students. Ensuring that we are leading rich reading lives ourselves allows us the opportunity to model for our students the pleasure of getting lost in a book, of having a passionate book talk, of deciding what to read next...I'm excited for your students! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete