Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Patricia Graham Blog #1 August Routman Chapter 3


              
  This article is the perfect article to read in the beginning of the year as we are setting the basis for Literacy in our classrooms.  Routman states that  at the beginning of the year, you want to “examine your own reading life, make it visible to your students, and connect world reading with school reading.”  I believe that it is so important to have these discussions with my students about my own reading life.  I can’t expect my students to develop a love for reading if I myself do not model what it looks like.  I plan on taking the time to have these discussions with my students- sharing what I am reading, about my personal library, favorite books, authors, and the different genres that I enjoy reading.  My hope is that my love for reading will have an impact on my students and that they too will develop a ‘reading life.’

           

          My goal this year is not only to help my students become better readers but to also help my students develop a love for reading in and outside of the classroom.  I want this love to be something that is instilled in them for life.  I want the students excited about the books they are reading and eager to read/ find new books.  I want the students to read a variety of genres, authors, and to enjoy engaging in discussions of their books.  Routman’s article is full of useful ideas I look forward to using this year. 

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are sharing your reading life with your students. They always tend to perk up and listen when we share personal things about ourselves. Your love for reading will definitely have an impact on your students! Have you read some of your favorite books as a child with them yet? I am sure they will become some of their favorites as well. What a way to connect with them through reading. I cannot wait to hear how your sharing has influenced some of their reading choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia,
    Routman's Chapter 3 does inspire us as teachers to share our own experiences as readers and to examine and open up our own reading lives to our students. I appreciate that you are planning on sharing your love of reading with your students and are providing them with choice over their reading and a wide variety of texts and genres to choose from. What are some of your favorite strategies from the Routman chapter that you want to use with your students? Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete