Saturday, October 17, 2015

Decken Blog Post 1: Routman Chapter 5: Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library

If I'm being completely honest, my classroom library has been a thorn in my side since I started teaching.  I feel like I have searched and searched for ideas on how to organize, label, and just get started in general.  This summer, I spent a "few" dollars on increasing my classroom library simply because it has dwindled over the past 4 years with some students thinking the five finger discount applied to them. Previous summers, I have spent time organizing/re-organizing and trying to figure out the most appealing way to display the books I have to offer.  I finally decided I was no longer putting time/effort into organizing it anymore and the way that it is will work.  (& it does!)  I do believe it is important for the library to be organized and attractive to students.  I recently got rid of some books that (to me) were classics, but clearly didn't appeal to my students because the covers were old school and they didn't recognize the story.  Students weren't even drawn to that basket (labeled "Classics") because none of the books looked fun.

Since I decided to no longer spend time organizing, I have put my energy towards making my classroom library a comforting & cozy place to visit and read.  This year, I have the lovely addition of a love seat.  I have always wanted to include a couch in my classroom because I know how lame it is to read sitting at a desk.  I also have several cozy spots around my classroom (under counters, in corners, ottomans, etc) that I allow students to visit.  I want my students to be comfortable while reading, so I feel that by providing cozy areas, they have an opportunity to feel like they're "at home" instead of in a concrete-walled classroom with hospital white walls.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed so much on reading this, because to my library was consumed with my childhood books, also known as the "classics". I would try to organize, and make sure the books were put away nicely. But, my designated reading area was not inviting so my students would not choose to pick a book, or read in the classroom library. Once I too didn't worry about organization, and invested in some new bean bags and chairs they race to that area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I am so glad you have tried to create a space that is warm, cozy, and inviting for your readers! I know they must enjoy their IR time because they can get comfy and cozy while reading! I too understand your frustrations with your classroom library. I am quite sure I have provided a library full of books to many of my students over the years. There is proof of this when parents years later will turn in the books that have been discovered at their house with my name in them. So don't dispair...they may find their way back to you...ONE DAY! I also learned that even after 20 years of teaching the library itself is never "perfect" and is constantly changing, just as the readers in your room change every year. I suggest giving them some responsibility over the organization and care of the library! Let it be a work-in progress throughout the year. You might be surprised at how they think they should be organized. I have also found it they feel some responsibility for it, they are more likely to take care of the books and actually return them. You might even make one or two of them "librarians" who can check the books out using an app! I can only imagine their excitement at being the one responsible for this ever important job. Let me know if this is something you are interested in. I looked at a few "book check-out" apps over the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shannon,
    I appreciate you reflecting on your classroom library journey and sharing the steps you are taking to make sure that it is cozy and inviting and that it has a variety of authors, of genres, and of topics that your third grade students are interested in. Thank you! Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete